Here are the details for Texas Potjie Festival 2014:
Potjie 2014 will be our 14th annual TX Potjie Festival, and as before, we expect that it will be a magnificent event…
“Back To Basics” – See more below!
On this page:
- Types of Visitors
- Festival Competitions
- Competition Registration
- Festival & Campground Fees
- Other Potjie Activities
Where: Port Adventure RV, 207 Port Blvd, Trinity, TX
When: Aug 29 – Sep 1, 2014 (Labor Day weekend)
Campground Website: portadventurerv.com
The Texas Potjie Festival has two types of visitors:
- Campers: People who are staying in the campground for the whole weekend of the Festival.
- Day Visitors: People staying outside the campground in hotels and who enter the campground during each day for one or both days. (If you will be a day visitor, here is how to get the most out of Potjie.)
The 2014 Potjie Festival is dubbed “Back To Basics” since we are returning to the original 5 competitions. These are also the competitions for which the overall winner prize is awarded. Only the Youth Potjie is retained as a way to engage the next generation.
The competitions are:
- Main Potjie
- Open Potjie
- Youth Potjie
The Potjie competitions take place on Sunday, August 31. The Youth Potjie competition takes place on Saturday, August 30.
Main Potjie Category: Chicken
Open Potjie Category: Anything except the main category.
Registration for Sunday’s competitions will take place from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Sunday. Bring the potjie(s) that you be using for your competition(s) along to registration. They will be inspected to ensure they are rust-free cast-iron potjies, and will be tagged with a special fire-resistant tag to indicate that they have been inspected. Only tagged potjies will be accepted for judging.
Campers: Call Port Adventure RV at (936) 594-2225 to make reservations for cabins, RV stands, or tents. Mention that your reservation is for the Potjie Festival. To help with your reservation, here is a campground map.
Note: If you are having trouble contact Port Adventure, please call 281-359-3520 or 832-392-9641. They are the personal numbers of the Reinhardts. Yvonne will help you.
If you make pay in full at the time of your reservation, you will receive a 10% discount. This offer is available until June 15, 2014.
Generally, there will be two fees to pay, one for the Festival itself. The other is to the campground for the use of campground facilities. Campers pay their camping fees, and Day Visitors pay day-use fees.
All Festival attendees (Campers & Day Visitors) will have the following Festival fees:
- Weekend Package: $15 per adult (18+) and $10 per child (5-17) for Potjie activities. You will get an armband to wear the whole weekend.
- Day Package: $10 per day per adult (18+)and $6 per day per child (5-17) for Potjie activities (sokkie, potjie eating, etc.). You will get an armband to wear.
Day Visitors: If you plan on attending both days, the Weekend Package for the Festival fee is a better deal.
Please be aware that these fees exclude tax. Unfortunately the state requires us to collect sales tax. Fortunately, for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children aged 5-17), the taxes on Festival fees would only be $4.13 for the weekend.
The kids are important at Potjie, and we make sure they have fun at our Kidz Activities on Saturday morning from 9 a.m. to noon. Activities include:
- Watermelon eating contest
- Tug of War
- Sack races
- Apple bobbing
- Egg toss & more
- Here is our Kidz Activities flyer… (Click to enlarge)
Potjie kiddos… join us for a whole morning of fun and prizes!
Potjie 2014 will feature a Bazaar on the Saturday. Here are the details:
- The bazaar will be held in the Pavilion (Hall).
- It starts at 11 a.m. Vendors are asked to stay until at least 1 p.m., but those vendors who have items left after 1 p.m. may stay until 3 p.m.
- There is no charge for being a vendor.
- If you would like to be a vendor, please contact us with your details.
- Here is our Bazaar flyer. Click to enlarge
The main Potjie sokkie (dance) will be hosted by DJ Kwagga in the Hall on Saturday evening from 9 p.m. to midnight!
Come strut your stuff on Saturday evening at one of the main fun events at Potjie!
Coffee drinkers… to help you wake up and make most of your day at Potjie, we will be hosting a “Koffie Kombuis” at the hall at Potjie on Saturday & Sunday morning from 7.30 – 9 a.m. Feel free to join us for some coffee, rusks, and a chat!